ESHM EXHIBIT TO HONOR LOUIS FREUND AND CENTENNIAL MURAL
The Eureka Springs Historical Museum will celebrate Eureka Springs May Festival of the Arts with an exhibit honoring local artist, Louis Freund and the Centennial Mural. The exhibit which opened May 1st, includes photographs, artifacts, original artwork and information on both Louis Freund and the Mural which is being restored thanks to a grant awarded to the Eureka Springs Preservation Society from the Arkansas Department of Heritage.
Louis Freund, along with his wife Elsie, purchased Hatchet Hall, the last home of Carry Nation in the 1940's, which served as the site of the Summer School of the Ozarks from 1940 to 1951. Here the Freunds conducted art programs, as well as pursuing their own careers as artists. When the Freunds retired to Eureka Springs in 1967, Elsie continued to work as an artist while remaining active in the art community and worked along with Louis to preserve the historic character of Eureka Springs and to promote Arkansas art and artists. They worked tirelessly to save Eureka's old buildings. They were instrumental in getting Eureka Springs on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970.
The Eureka Springs Preservation Society will be hosting an event at ESHM on May 28th to celebrate both the Centennial Mural and Calif Spring. Both projects are one of the ways money generated by the Preservation Society’s Christmas Tour of Homes is used to benefit preservation in Eureka Springs.
VOICES FROM EUREKA'S SILENT CITY
Actors in period costumes will portray, Rear Admiral Margaret McLaughlin, Alvah Jackson, Dr. Pearl Tatman, Dr. Charles Fremont Ellis, Miss Kitty Goodwin, Johnny Pointer, Lena Wilson, and George Head.
These voices will be heard on each of the above dates on guided tours through Eureka Springs Cemetery, beginning at 5:30pm, and every twenty minutes thereafter until 8:30pm. There is free parking at the former Victoria Inn parking lot on Hwy 62 East, with free shuttle service to the cemetery. (There is no parking at the cemetery).
Tickets are available at all Cornerstone Bank locations, the Eureka Springs Chamber of Commerce, and at the Historical Museum at 95 South Main Street. Or, call the museum at 479-253-9417 for more information.
Suzanne Williams, above right, was named "Volunteer of the Year" at the Annual Membership Meeting of the Eureka Springs Historical Museum.
In addition to volunteering as a museum greeter at the front desk for several hours weekly, Suzanne assists with research as requested. But her biggest accomplishment this past year has been guiding the reprinting of the second edition of "Eureka Springs: A Postcard History 1879-1979", a book which was originally published as a part of the Centennial in 1979, and has been out of print for many years.
Suzanne is pictured above with Stephanie Stodden, Director of Operations at the museum, and a copy of the book, which is available at the museum bookstore for $20.
For more information:
Dr. Tim Kovalcik to Speak on “Death at the Springs
The Eureka Springs Historical Museum invites members and the public to a presentation by former Eureka resident Dr. Tim Kovalcik, on Monday evening, July 28th, at 6 PM, at the Inn of the Ozarks Convention Center.
A former Eureka resident, Dr. Kovalcik is the Distingished Griswold Professor of History at Millikin University in Decatur, Illinois.
The subject of his talk will be “Death at the Springs: Early accounts of Politicians and Partisans who came to Eureka and Were Not Healed”. Primary sources for his subject were discovered in the museum archives as well as in a nationwide data base of newspapers from 1879-1883.
In 2012 and again in 2013 he spent two weeks during the summer at the museum doing research while leading two student interns from Milliken in working on archival records.
Tim is a proud graduate of Eureka Springs High School class of 1992, a Millikin Graduate in 1996, and received his PH.D. At the University of Bristol in the United Kingdom.
He is the son of Anne and the late John Kovalcik of Eureka Springs.
The event is free to members and non-members alike. Non members are welcome to leave a donation for the museum's operating fund.
For more information: email@example.com or call 479-253-9417
The Eureka Springs Historical Museum is located in the heart of the historic district at 95 S. Main in Calif House, built in 1889. Its mission is to collect, preserve and exhibit the documents, photographs, and artifacts pertaining to the history of Eureka Springs, (Carroll County), and surrounding areas. See the colorful past of this unique town and the people who lived here. A fascinating collection of papers, photographs, mementos, official documents, home furnishings, and other artifacts are on display. We offer a newly renovated main floor with new exhibits that tell the story of Eureka Springs. We also have a second floor with more exhibits, as well as an Art Gallery that features local artists that helped start the artist boom in Eureka Springs.
The museum’s income is derived from admissions, donations, fundraisers, research fees, and gift shop sales, as well as memberships which are open and available to all interested persons. We are open from 9:30am-4:00pm Monday through Saturday, and 11:00am-4:00pm on Sunday.
Self-Guided Tours: Adults, $5.00 • Students with ID, $2.50
Children under 12, Free • Always free to members!
You may contact us by calling 479-253-9417.
Eureka Springs Historical Museum is a 501(c)3 exempt organization. This means that donations to ESHM are tax-deductible.